St Martin’s Church

St Martin’s Church,

Church Lane, Ellisfield. RG25 2QR

St Martins Church ex Hill and Dale

The Domesday Book (1086 AD) mentions a church at Ellisfield but it is thought that St. Martin’s was built during the second half of the thirteenth century. The other church, All Saints, stood in the grounds of Brocas but during the plague, the village was reduced to a population of only nine and the two benefices were united under the patronage of Sir Bernard Brocas and All Saints was demolished.

Inside St Martin'sChurch Ellisfield ex Hill & Dale

St. Martin’s Church comprises a chancel, a nave, a south porch and a west tower.

The chancel is lit by Gothic Revival lancet windows in the north and south wall and three light Gothic windows dominating the east wall.

St Francis window St Martins Church Ellisfield

Sanctuary window St Martins Ellisfield ellis4

Parts of the nave walls are probably contemporary but the inside semi-circular arch is said to be fourteenth century. Behind the vestry door are several ancient scratchings, that include Crusader crosses possibly put there by knights leaving for the crusade. At the north east end of the nave above the pulpit is a lancet window which may date back to the thirteenth century.

The Gothic Revival tower was built in 1884, replacing a wooden one, and houses five bells. The bells, which are Spanish, were recently restored. In the millennium year all the kneelers by the altar and choir stalls were replaced with the tapestry depicting the year; being done by individuals in the village. At the same time new altar furniture and vestments were commissioned that pick out the style of the pulpit and other parts of the Church.

Externally, the avenue of pleached limes was planted in 1897. This style is common in France but unusual in Hampshire.

Lime trees to porch St Martins Church

In 2010/2011 the village residents continued an ancient custom of paying for the replacement of the post and rails around the churchyard and a new lych gate was installed. In the spring, the church yard is covered in snowdrops and wild daffodils.

St Martins Church Lychgate

The Parish of Farleigh include:

Ellisfield; Farleigh Wallop; Dummer and Cliddesden;

Clergy and contacts are;

The Rev’d Stephen Mourant :
The Rectory,Church Lane,
Ellisfield, Hampshire RG25 2QR
Tel: 01256 381217
Click here to email

The Rev’d David Chattell:
The Rectory, Alresford Road,
Preston Candover, Hampshire RG25 2EE
Tel: 01256 389474
Click here to email

Church Wardens, St Martin’s, Ellisfield

Mr Bernard Cazenove
Tel: 01256 381279
VACANCY

Farleigh Parochial Church Council – St Martin’s

Mrs Beverley Guinness;
Tel: 01256 381348
Mrs Debbie Scholey;
Tel: 01256 381757
Treasurer;   Mr Eamonn Harding; 
Tel: 01256 475985

Deanery Synod Representative;

Mr Bernard Cazenove;
Tel: 01256 381279
Mrs Debbie Scholey;
Tel: 01256 381757

St. Martin’s, Captain of the Bells

Mr Peter Willis
Tel: 01256 472505

Website

http://www.farleighcandoverandwield.org.uk/

Parish Magazine – Hill and Dale

Editor;   Mrs Edna Chilton;
Tel: 01256 355587

Please click here for services in the Parish of Farleigh